Boss Space Echo Compact Digital "Tape Delay" Effects Pedal - RE2
The Authentic Space Echo Experience in a Compact Pedal
Introduced in 1974 and produced for over 14 years, the Roland RE-201 Space Echo stands among the most legendary and sought-after effect units in music history. Known for its distinctive rhythmic echo sounds, warm character, and highly playable sonic quirks, this tape-based classic continues to inspire musicians, producers, and audio mixers over four decades on.
With the RE-2, the authentic sound and behavior of the Space Echo is now available in the famous BOSS compact series for the first time. Backed by intensive R&D and our latest innovations, the RE-2 delivers the coveted magic of the RE-201 in a pedalboard-friendly footprint—realized in flawless detail by the company that designed the original.
- Authentic sound and behavior of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo in a BOSS compact pedal
- Classic multi-head tape echo sound with expanded delay time
- Original three-head configuration and 11 different sound combinations
- Vintage RE-201 spring reverb sound with modern stereo operation
- Wow & Flutter control for introducing varying levels of natural tape modulation
- Twist effect with footswitch control
- Select between the unprocessed analog dry signal or the modeled sound of the original Space Echo preamp
- Tap tempo and carryover functions
- True stereo input and output
- Expandable control via external footswitches or an expression pedal
- BOSS five-year warranty
RE-201 Space Echo: Simply Legendary
When tape-based echoes were standard in the music world, the RE-201 was a leader in its class. Equipped with three evenly spaced tape heads and a spring reverb tank, it could produce everything from clean, single delays to dense, rhythmic echoes and ambient washes.
The RE-201’s appealing sound was influenced by many factors, from the warm compression of magnetic tape saturation to the evolving modulation produced by motor speed fluctuations, friction, and other elements. Last but not least, analog preamp circuitry was a key ingredient in the Space Echo’s rich sonic recipe.
A Masterpiece Reborn
In developing the RE-2 and its big brother, the RE-202, BOSS engineers have fully reproduced all the complex, non-linear behaviors that contribute to the RE-201’s immortal character. We carefully analyzed several vintage RE-201s, including a pristine original unit from the BOSS and Roland factory archive. Everything that influences the sound has been recreated with all-new algorithms, including the tape path, record/playback mechanism, motor variations, preamp coloration, spring reverb character, and more.